Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I had to prepare a 2-3 minute long speech for my Public Speaking class tomorrow and this is what I composed:

A Loved Belonging

I don’t know about you, but when I first got this title I had to think really hard of a thing which means a lot to me. Something which is of so much importance that I would be functioning all wrong if I was to be ever without it. Exaggeration, yes? Maybe to some, but for me personally, my normal routine would definitely be disrupted if one day I wake up to find...my favourite pillow missing from its usual spot in bed.
Yes, you heard me right. My loved belonging is not a high-end apparel and neither is it a sophisticated gadget. It is however just an old and humble pillow. Some might even say it’s smelly. Shocking, isn’t it? Hardly anyone would think that a person like me would have a soft spot for such a thing.
Rectangular in shape and hardly any bigger than an A4 paper, I have had this pillow of mine for as long as I could remember. Over the years, its case has frayed for once it used to be a spanking white colour but now it has turned into the colour of the sky on a gloomy day. It has even lost its fluff. But just as the saying goes, ‘beauty lies in the eyes of its beholder’; I still think that my pillow is the best. Many a time, my mother tries to dispose of it but each time I manage to stop her from doing the unthinkable. Mother – 0, daughter -1.
Even though it has lost its physical appeal, what makes it so important to me is the sentimental value it holds. I can still clearly remember the warm feeling I get whenever I snuggle it. And now being here, it reminds me of home and it is comforting to have something familiar in the midst of unfamiliarity.
I do admit that I am too big a girl to still clung on to what most would say childish and that sooner or later I would have to give it up. But for now, I would like to savour every moment I have with my little pillow until the day it is time to be rid of it.
********************************

No comments: